• Call us on:01905 723361
  • Out of hours:01905 780404
  • Emergency:01905 723361

Spring Issues For Your Dog

Resident Dog Blogger Rikki looks at potential poisons which can affect your dog over spring

Spring is finally upon us! Being a young pup (I'm only 7 months old) I’ve not experienced this season yet but I’m looking forward to the long, warmer days so I can go for lots of walks with my buddy Ted.

Although there’s lots of great things to look forward to this season, I have been told there are things that us dogs need to be careful with. I particularly like eating things I shouldn’t but I shall be careful to avoid the following (even if they do look very tasty!)

Chocolate

With Easter looming, there is bound to be lots of chocolate in people’s households. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromide which is toxic to dogs. Unlike humans, we dogs find this difficult to digest – which is why even a small quantity of chocolate can be bad for us pooches. Effects can range from an upset tummy to seizures, or even a heart attack!

Darker chocolate will have a higher quantity of theobromide in it compared to milk chocolate. However, I won’t be taking any risks and neither should you with your dog – there are healthier and safer Easter themed treats you can give.

Hot Cross Buns

Did you know even small amounts of grapes, raisins, sultanas or currants can prove fatally toxic to dogs?

After hearing this, I sniffed out the Pet Poisons Helpline who told me they are still not sure why grapes or raisins are toxic to dogs and because of this, there is no rule as to how many is too many – some dogs may become very sick after eating a few raisins while other dogs have eaten large quantities with no side effects.

Poisoning can cause loss of appetite, vomiting and diarrhoea and within a few days can cause severe damage to the kidneys.

Daffodils and Tulips

Okay, so this may not be tempting to you human-folk, but us doggies enjoy eating a variety of weird and wonderful things!

While most plants are not toxic, both daffodils and tulips contain ingredients which are highly poisonous to your dog. To start with, they can irritate the mouth and throat, causing intense pain and drooling. Once eaten, it can cause tummy pain, vomiting and diarrhoea. In more serious cases, it can affect the heart and breathing as well as causing seizures.

If your dog has managed to snaffle any of the above, make sure you contact the vet as soon as possible – the quicker you bring them, the more chance they have of avoiding any harmful effects.

Rikki

xx

Practice information

Lowesmoor House Veterinary Centre Ltd

Back
  • Mon
    9:00am - 7:00pm
  • Tue
    9:00am - 7:00pm
  • Wed
    9:00am - 7:00pm
  • Thu
    9:00am - 7:00pm
  • Fri
    9:00am - 7:00pm
  • Sat
    9:00am - 12:00pm
  • Sun
    Closed

Emergency Details

Please call:

01905 723361
Back

Find us here:

18 Rainbow Hill Worcester WR3 8LX
get directions with Google Maps
Back

Please call this number for emergencies:

01905 723361